5G’s extremely fast bandwidth and ultra-low latency makes mission-critical control possible. This is opening the door for new applications that demand absolute reliability, such as in health care, energy, automated factory processes or autonomous transportation. These capabilities are unattainable with today’s network. 5G will unlock them through multiple rollout phases, starting in 2019, where extensive enlargement and densification of fixed (fibre) and wireless networks are essential for the launch of commercial 5G services.
Global5G.org is a Coordination and Support Action within Europe’s 5G public and private partnership (5G PPP) that is working on both fronts through its focus on vertical industries and small cell deployments.
- Adoption and rollout strategies: highlighting the importance of building short-to-long-term business strategies around market drivers through our webinar series.
- Standardisation: bringing vertical industries into the 5G standardisation process, working in two task forces to reinforce adoption of 5G and support industry associations in their standardisation work.
- New market opportunities: Emerging business models, exploring potential roles for incumbents and new entrants, including SMEs.
Global5G.org works closely with the private side of the 5G PPP – the 5G Infrastructure Association (5G-IA) to help boost impacts through diverse working group and task force activities.
Key outputs of Global5G.org (July 2017-December 2019) are:
- Verticals Cartography: an online tool tracking progress of 5G PPP research and innovation through use-case experiments, from proofs of concept to pilots and trials across diverse industries. It combines a cityscape with a vertical perspective. Work is coordinated through the Trials Working Group of the 5G-IA.
- Standards Tracker: a multi-fold activity that includes tracking inputs to 5G standardisation by 5G PPP projects. Activities are coordinated through the 5G-IA WG on Pre-Standardization. The online tool is designed to guide vertical industries through the 5G standardisation process, identifying common requirements and interests to maximise impacts with the resources available. This work is supported through a Task Force with several vertical industry associations that are Market Representation Partners in 3GPP, the 3rd Generation Public Partnership.
- Performance KPI Tracker: an online tool monitoring progress towards an ambitious set of performance indicators for 5G set at the 5G PPP programme level. Indicators include latency, user data rate, energy efficiency targeted by 5G PPP projects. This work is coordinated through the 5G-IA Ad-hoc Performance KPI WG.
- Market Watch: Analysis of market drivers for vertical industries. Global5G.org runs a series of webinars to educate market sectors on the opportunities of 5G for diverse market sectors. Alongside this, Global5G.org provides market and country analyses on 5G roadmaps and rollouts.
- Small Cell Studies: Investigation into regulatory issues surrounding the deployment of small cells across Europe, looking at barriers to network densification and how they can be overcome through a lightweight approach. Global5G.org studies include an in-depth investigation and a white paper.
In addition to the Working Groups above, Global5G.org also contributes to 5G PPP WGs on Architecture and Automotive; 5G-IA WGs on Communications, the International Cooperation Stream and Spectrum, as well as the SME WG of the EU Technology Platform, NetWorld2020. Global5G.org also co-leads activities within the 5G-IA Verticals Task Force.